[Dixielandjazz] Jazz In New Orleans

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Sun Jun 7 15:14:31 PDT 2009

Robert Smith wrote:
> Just to confirm that the story of "NO JAZZ BANDS IN NEW ORLEANS" is
> also on page 107 of my hardback edition of "The Story of the
> Original Dixieland Jazz Band" published by the English Jazz Book
> Club in 1963.
> The "Original Jazz Band" was run by Wilbur Sweatman (also mentioned
> on the same page 107).

Dear Bob, Jack and Anton,
My copy of "The Story of the Original Dixieland Jazz Band" is the
paperback 'first edition' published by Louisiana State University
Press in 1960!
Just showing off. Sorry about that.
8>)
And the two references under discussion are also on page 107.
I, like Marek, enjoyed the book, notwithstanding some questionable
facts.
So far, it is the best history we have of the ODJB.
But surely, after almost 50 years, someone is writing an updated and
accurate account (with discography) of the ODJB.
Kind regards,
Bill