[Dixielandjazz] Kenny Davern's Albert System Clarinet

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sun Jun 7 00:48:12 PDT 2009

>  Zerxpress at aol.com  wrote
> about my posting that Davern learned on Albert System, then switched
> to Boehm

> Steve,
> Are you sure he didn't learn on the Boehm first THEN during his
> "revivalist
> period" (he
> used to call it) switched to Albert for five or so years THEN went
> back to
> Albert.
> Better ask his biographer Ed Meyer.
> I think he sold his Alberts to Evan Christopher, you could ask him, as
> well.
>
> Regards,
> Mark Weber
> Albuquerque USA

Hi Mark:

I could be wrong, the memory isn't what it used to be, but I'm almost
positive he self taught himself on Albert and then, switched to Boehm.
As you say, he did play Albert during his fascination with New Orleans
revivalist Dixieland. He out grew that, but retained that lovely tone
of his on his newer Boehm clarinets. I believe that the first time I
saw him at Nick's, when he was around 20, he played an Albert

As I remember him at 13 or 14 years old, (we both grew up on Long
Island, NY) he was playing an Albert which he told me, at that time,
his mother bought for him when he was 11 or 12. Shortly thereafter, he
started taking a few lessons and bought a Boehm system clarinet.

I think when he went with Ralph Flanagan's band at 16 or so, he played
the Boehm, in addition to Alto and Tenor Saxes. But when he came back
to NYC, played Albert for a while in his "revivalist period".

That's what I remember, but it was a long time ago.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband