[Dixielandjazz] Jazz in New Orleans

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Sat Jun 6 20:07:41 PDT 2009

Anton Crouch wrote [in part]:
> 1. The Buddy Bolden cylinder. In print, this story dates from 1957 -
> Charles E Smith's article in "Saturday Review", 16 March 1957. Smith's
> article was based on interviews with Willie Cornish in 1939. Does
> anyone
> have a copy of the article? Or know of any earlier reference?

Dear Anton,
A quickie before I rush off to the afternoon band gig at the Fortune
of War pub.
The subject of the 'Bolden cylinder' was covered in the UK mag "New
Orleans Music" published by DJMLer Louis Lince.
Vol. 13. No. 4. June 2007. (I am a subscriber.)
This 'special' Bolden issue includes a reprint of Charles E Smith's
"Saturday Review" article dated 16 March 1957 and includes an up-date
article written for "New Orleans Music" by Doug Landau.
Kind regards,
Bill.