[Dixielandjazz] Sam Butera

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Thu Jun 4 13:05:26 PDT 2009

Sorry to hear of Sam's passing. He was quite a player and quite as
guy. Saw him last, many years ago with Louis prima in Atlantic City.
Our guitarist, who had worked with Butera and Prima in Vegas 40+ years
ago, invited them to stop by where he was playing and they did. I had
just returned to the Philadelphia area and while not playing at the
time, had met Sonny and would go listen to his band. (which included
Ace, our bassist now)

They said some really funny things when they saw Sonny, but I am
unable to repeat them in polite company. No doubt listmates who saw
Prima and Buters perform can relate other stories which are repeatable.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband