[Dixielandjazz] Ma Rainey

Anton Crouch anton.crouch at optusnet.com.au
Sun Jul 26 02:22:45 UTC 2009

Hello Bob

Bill's probably off enjoying himself (playing jazz and drinking beer on
a Sunday afternoon) so I thought I'd offer an interim answer to the "See
see rider" question.

Dixon, Godrich and Rye (who can be trusted) give:

1925-1,-2  See See Rider Blues  New York City  c. 16 October 1924
Acc. Her Georgia Jazz band: Louis Armstrong, c; Charlie Green, tb;
Buster Bailey, cl; Fletcher Henderson, p; Charlie Dixon, bj.

There is no percussion on this track.

There is only one recording and I'd guess that your notation has varied
between "See see rider" and "See see blues", when the full title is "See
see rider blues".

A controversial question for our blues enthusiasts - is there also an
alto sax playing on Rainey's "See see rider blues" ?

All the best,
Anton