[Dixielandjazz] "Jazz" - and traditional jazz

John Petters jdpetters at btinternet.com
Wed Jul 22 20:35:26 UTC 2009

Marek Boym wrote:
> Hello folks,
> I've just read a long article on Dick Hyman, including interview
> therewith, published on another list.
> There was something there that caught my attention:  Hyman worked on
> television with Arthur Godfrey,who had a variety show first on the
> radio, then a TV/radio simulcast, then television. The ukulele-playing
> host hated jazz until Hyman persuaded him to listen to some trad
> stuff. Then you couldn't keep him away.

Similar reation on BBC Radio 4 today with Libby Purvis and guests with
Chris Barber. Worth a listen. One guest said he enjoyed Chris's music
but didn't nomally enjoy jazz.
Show website here. It is going out live at the moment but will be on
Iplayer later this eve.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006qrpf

--
John Petters