[Dixielandjazz] Don Ingle should appreciate this....

Don Ingle cornet at 1010internet.com
Sun Jul 19 19:42:25 UTC 2009

Hal Vickery wrote:
> The world's oldest man (an Englishman and veteran of World War I), Henry Allingham died yesterday at age 113.  He was quoted in the AP article as having attributed his long life to "cigarettes, whisky and wild, wild women."
>
> Sounds like he was a Red Ingle fan, although it would have been better had he actually said, "cigareets and whuskey, and wild, wild women."
>
> Hal Vickery

Indeed I do.  Dad was a chain smoker and fond of his bourbon, but a
loyal and  faithful husband. But the bourbon did him in at age 59. Far
too young, but then he never missed much in his life in the biz!.
He should have stayed with his ethnic roots and drank good Scotch. He
did in the early years but found it hard to get in midwest one-nighter
towns,where they thought scotch applied to pickled eggs or sidewalk
hopping. But he was never so over-served that he ever missed a date, a
gig, a cue, or anything in his work. Such discipline was a hallmark of
his work.  Me - I follow the ethnic roots path and drink good scotch and
more often single malt. Tried oit, but I never was a cigaret smoker: but
loved my pipe and strong English blend tobacco, enough turkish sotweed
in it to clear a room when I lit up. A litttle late-in-life asthma nixed
that. Married a good gal 54 years ago, so in spite of being around
"Cigareets,whusky, and wild, wild wimman " a good part of my 78 year
span, I am not apt to follow the late Mr. Allinham's prescription,
though I admire his steadfast application.
Thanks for the wire blurb, as it was not added to the TV news note of
his passing.
Don