[Dixielandjazz] romantic band

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Sat Jul 18 16:45:58 UTC 2009

Well, I never considered we were a romantic band, but an incident at a club
gig last nite proved me wrong.  During a break, I borrowed what seemed to be
an empty chair for a moment to sit down to chat with visiting friends.
Then, I saw the chair I had taken was actually the chair of a young man who
was, it seemed, kneeling down next to his girlfriend's chair instead of
asking me for his chair back.

Turns out, he was proposing marriage right then & there...all squeezed into
this jam packed little club.  His girl's name, he told me, was Alexandra, so
we dedicated Alexander's Ragtime Band (well, it's close!) to her when we
went back up, and I told the audience what had just gone on.  The trumpeter
& I were able to work in the Wedding March during the song, over the
Alexander's chords which was great fun.

After the song I congratulated them both, and of course, reminded them over
the mic that we do weddings!

Jim