[Dixielandjazz] Jazz to drink with

Don Ingle cornet at 1010internet.com
Sat Jul 18 16:05:12 UTC 2009

In the '50's, when on the road with several bands, we were kept alive
with one-nighters in the SW at petroleum clubs, country clubs, and
service bases (NCO and Officer's clubs).

When we played in Texas near to border area and had nights off, several
of us brass players would go over to Mexico (a lot safer then than
today) to catch the local bands. One band in particular had a trumpet
player -  much Sandoval style, technique, range, tone and all - named
Freddie Guzman. Amazing player.

While there we drank some good beer - pilsner type beers from Central
Mexico and learned that the reason it was so good and close to what we'd
had in Europe was that when France setup Austrian Prince Maximilian as
Emperor of Mexico (no one asked the Mexicans if they wanted one) he
brought his own brau meisters with him to keep him and his court
supplied with Austrian suds. When the Mexicans won the war with France
over this nation grab and shot Maximilian, they decided to keep the brau
meisters if they wanted to stay because they has also become fond of the
brew. Hence the good brews we enjoyed as we listened to the sterling
Senior Guzman.

As to a choice of what to sip as you listen to jazz, that's a personal
matter. For me, a wee dram of a decent
Islay or Spey single malt does the job. (Jazz connection: Rosie McHargue
singing "The Alcoholic Blues."

Don Ingle