[Dixielandjazz] Straight Ahead Jazz

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Wed Jul 15 20:25:16 UTC 2009

Ken Gates asked what is "Straight Ahead Jazz"?

I think it means different things to different people and is therefore
hard to pin down exactly. Among my jazz musician friends here in the
Philadelphia area it means; post swing jazz (around 1940 and later)
that is conventional in style and not complicated by the huge extended
chords or rhythms of bop, fusion, avant garde, free jazz, smooth jazz
etc. Nor is it Dixieland.

It moves forward in a "straight ahead" manner, chords going where you
think they are going, like swing, however is small band and virtually
all improvised after the melody statement. At first, we called it
"progressive jazz".

Examples would be the small band recordings of Lester Young, Coleman
Hawkins, Ben Webster, Gerry Mulligan, Paul Desmond, Harry Edison, Zoot
Sims et al. Tunes played are often American Songbook.

Problem is, like any "definition" of styles, the lines are very
blurred. And some of the musicians flit back and forth among them.

When I work with my trio, Guitar/Bass/Clarinet, I describe it as
"Straight Ahead" or "American Songbook", or "Cocktail" Jazz.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband