[Dixielandjazz] R: Great Tuba Players

Jack Mitchell fjmitch at westnet.com.au
Thu Jul 9 17:40:12 PDT 2009

David Gannett said

 BY NED, WE INVENTED THE GENRE and play it BETTER than any other musicians
from anywhere else, because it's our own, home-grown music!

Sorry, David, you ain't right. We've got musicians and bands in Australia
that are as good, and sometimes better, than many Americans. Bob Barnard and
his band created a sensation at the Bix  do in Davenport, and there are
dozens of other excellent locals doing that thing. Some from the past who
are retired or dead were in world class, such as Frank Coughlan, Ken
Flannery and John McCarthy. There's no point in listing all the bands and
musos, as you wouldn't know about any of them anyway. You might get a
surprise if you listened outside your "box".

Jack Mitchell