[Dixielandjazz] Happy Birthday to Dan Augustine

Daniel Augustine ds.augustine at mail.utexas.edu
Fri Jul 3 20:22:39 PDT 2009

     Drat!  I didn't take my birthday off of my Facebook page fast
enough.  But possibly the good Herr Professor Edgerton already knew it
somehow (written on the toilet walls down at the Texas Home for the
Incurably Tall).
     As i already explained privately to Mr. Edgerton, having your
43rd birthday is really not so bad, until you realize that you started
counting in hex (base 16) just before you were about to turn 40 (32 in
hex).   43 is subjectively a lot nicer than 67.  (And yes, i know a
lot of you out there are far older than i, but hey, this is the first
time i've ever been 67, so gimme a break).
     And speaking of age, last night i played a gig at a 'retirement'
home with some dixie buddies, and the residents were 10 and 20 years
older than i was.  They seemed to like the music a lot, which is
always nice, but i got out of there as fast as i could because my
birthday was the next day and i started to imagine the cold breath of
mortality riding his pale horse up behind me, ready to knock me and my
tuba into the ditch (critics everywere!).
     On the other hand, this morning i was rejuvenated (somewhat) by a
number of birthday-wishers and by a clarinet-playing friend who said,
"How could one NOT take the "Congo Stomp" by Frank Bunch and His Fuzzy
Wuzzies seriously, I ask."  So i went and listened to that and to
"Fuzzy Wuzzy" (many praises to Sheik for posting the list of jazz
solos) and i loosened my chokehold on mirth's neck.
     It's getting a little deep now, i see, so i better go.  Ice cream
calls.

     Dan