[Dixielandjazz] Roger Pryor Dodge list of jazz solos

dwlit at cpcug.org dwlit at cpcug.org
Thu Jul 2 19:29:50 PDT 2009

Red Hot Jazz Mailing List received an interesting post from Pryor Dodge,
son of jazz writer Roger Pryor Dodge. The following is sent to DJML with
permission.

"My father, Roger Pryor Dodge, kept a handwritten and handbound portfolio
entitled "Hot Solos". After several years of sitting with me daily and
having me play (on the flute) Bach chorales and dance movements, to
introduce me to jazz and add some syncopation to my musical life, he
brought out his collection of favorite "Hot Solos" and opened it to what
he felt was one of the great solos of all time, Armstrong's solo in Potato
Head Blues. He had me play it almost every day until I could play it by
memory in different keys, an excercise he had me do with many pieces for
ear training. If anybody here is interested, I could dig out the portfolio
and list the other "Hot Solos"."

Pryor sent RHJML the list. Many of the records cited are on CD. I for one
am going to use it for some directed listening.

--Sheik
"Hot Solos"

Honeysuckle Rose - Trumpet/Trombone/Clarinet - Charles Spivak/Tommy
Dorsey/Jimmy Dorsey - Decca296 - Dorsey Bros. - Waller - Razaf

Back Water Blues - Trumpet - Solos by Anne Bacon Dodge (I don't quite get
this entry - Anne was my father's first wife. She played classical & jazz
piano and accompanied Bubber Miley when my father brought him to a studio
to record some variations on Black & Tan and King of the Zulus)

By Heck - Trombone

Mountain Top Blues - Trombone

Honeysuckle Rose - Guitare Solo - Charles Christian - Columbia35319 -
Goodman Or. - Waller - Razaf

Puttin'On the Ritz - Trumpet - Miley - Reisman - Victor22306A - Berlin

Black and Tan Fantasy - Trumpet - Miley - Ellington - Victor21138B - Miley
(also a 2nd version)

Black and Tan Fantasy - Trumpet - Jabbo Smith - Ellington - Parlophone3492
(81776) - Miley

Got Everything But You - Trumpet - Miley - Ellington - Victor217038 -
Palmer - Razaf

Some of These Days - Trumpet - Armstrong - Okeh 41298 (400943?) - Brooks

Call of the Freaks - Trumpet - Oliver - King Oliver Orchestra - Victor V38039

Willie the Weeper - Clarinet - Albert Nichols - King Oliver - Vocalion
A1112 - Rymal/Melrose/M. Bloom

Mournful Serenade - Clarinet/Trombone - Omer Simeon/Santo Peeora -
Jelly-Roll Morton Red Hot Peppers - Victor V38024B - Jo Oliver

Yellow Dog Blues - Trumpet - Miley - Ellington - Brunswick 3987 (5987?) -
Handy

I Wish I Could Shimmy Like My Sister Kate - Trumpet, Clarinet, Trombone -
Boyd Senter and his Senterpedes - Odeon 400168A - Piron

What Did I Do To Be So Black and Blue - Trombone - Fred Robinson -
Armstrong Band - Okeh 8714 - Razaf/Waller/ Brooks

Black & Tan Fantasy - Trumpet/Trombone - Jabbo Smith/Joseph Nanton -
Ellington - Okeh - Ellington/Miley

Congo Stomp - Trumpet/Clarinet - Frank Bunch and His Fuzzy Wuzzies -
Gennett 6293-B - Woods

Some of These Days - Cornet

Potato Head Blues - Trumpet - Armstrong - Armstrong Band - Okeh 8503
(80855) - Armstrong

Wild Man Blues - Trumpet - Armstrong - Armstrong Band - Parlophone R 3492
(80848) - Armstrong/Morton

P. D. Q. Blues - Trombone (solo ending) - Thomas Morris & His Hot Babies -
Victor 20330-A - Charles-Henry

Tin Roof Blues - Trombone/Clarinet - Ted Lewis Band - Columbia 4390 - Roppolo

The Gouge of Armour Avenue - Trombone - Charlie Green - Fletcher Henderson
Orch. - Vocalion A 14859 - Handy

Skip the Gutter - Trombone - Fred Robinson - Armstrong Hot Five - Odeon
165578 - Williams

Steppin' Ol' Fool - Cornet - Fowler's Washboard Wonders - Columbia 14101-D
- Fowler

Ozark Blues - Cornet - Fess Williams Royal Flush - Vocalion A1117

East St. Louis Toodle-O - Trumpet/Trombone - Miley/Nanton - Ellington -
Victor - Miley/Ellington

My Josephine - Trumpet - Celestin's Original Tuxedo Or. - Columbia 636-D -
Barnes

Freeze An' Melt - Trombone/Cornet - Tom Dorsey/Leo McConville - Ed Lang
Or. - Parlophone 22429 (401959) - Fields/McHugh

King of the Zulus - Trumpet/Trombone - Armstrong/Ory - Armstrong Orch. -
Okeh 8396 - Hardin

Mean Dog Blues - Saxophone/Guitare - Adrian Rollini/Eddie Lang - Red
Nichols Band - Brunswick 3597

St. Louis Blues - Piano - Seger Ellis - Okeh - Handy