[Dixielandjazz] YBJB charicature.

M J (Mike) Logsdon mjl at ix.netcom.com
Thu Jan 29 18:50:56 PST 2009

Since we're talking Lu, and since I can't recall if I ever mentioned the
following before, I'm pulling age-liability and risking mentioning it again.

The particular charicature of the 8-piece band by one Clark -- I believe
he did more than one, but this is the one of the standard Dawn Club
stance, facing you, the "audience" -- I speak of ... has anyone ever
noticed and/or bothered to mention, that Clark gave Harry Mordecai at
least the appearance of a particular type of mustache that might,
historically, be considered repugnant by a certain ethnic group?
Alright, I'll say it: he looks like Hitler on banjo.  I know this is
incredibly off the page, but good gawd, it hit me like a ton of bricks
the first moment I saw, not a copy of it in a book, but a full-size
original print given to me by a list-friend of recent posting fame.  I
was looking at each player, and then, damn!  Harry!  Where did that
mustache come from?!

Evening musings from yours truly.  Sorry for the weirdness, and
repetition, if I've mentioned this before.