[Dixielandjazz] Shimme-Sha-Wobble

Ken Mathieson ken at kenmath.free-online.co.uk
Wed Jan 28 06:50:00 PST 2009

Hi Steve et al,

The confusion is receding! Thanks to Steve for his explanation and thanks already sent off-list to Rich Skrika, who sent a pdf of his lead sheet. A concensus is emerging that the verse is in Cm and the chorus in Eb major, although a few bands appear to play the chorus in C major. The interlude part has frequently been described as being in F minor, although to my ears it's actually still in C minor since it goes bacck and forward between Fm6 (sub-dominant minor in C minor) and G7 (dominant major in C minor), so I hear it as remaining in C minor even though the chord of C minor doesn't appear.

I think the issue of the chords in bar 14 of the chorus is now nailed too as being Ab / Abm / (in the key of Eb).

Many thanks to all who repsonded. Now to sharpen the pencil and write the chart.

Cheers,

Ken Mathieson
www.classicjazzorchestra.org.uk