[Dixielandjazz] FW: Recorded vs. live music

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Fri Jan 23 08:57:55 PST 2009

>Simple, It wasn't live. In case you wondered, the music by Izhak Perlman,
YoYo Ma, Anthony McGill and Gabriela Montero was mimed to a pre-recorded
track.

Ah, but it WAS they who originally made the recording.  And, there is the
fact that they weren't just going through the motions on stage, they were
actually playing.  We just weren't being given their live feed. These are
technical decisions that do not belittle the greatness of the musicians
playing.

Is it something we should be told?  Are we told, during a film, that this or
that scene has been redubbed in the dubbing theater due to technical
problems on the live shoot?  Can you imaging the word "dubbed" flashing
across your screen everytime this happens?  (It happens much more than one
outside the industry would imagine!)

When it's someone else performing on the recording, and a lesser talent is
then mouthing the artist, this then is sinful.  However, the other method
(an artist dubbing his own work)....??
Dunno, it happens.  Not really a terrible scandal.

Jim