[Dixielandjazz] Sid Caesar/Nanette Fabray improv

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Thu Jan 22 18:37:59 PST 2009

Maybe so Ron, but remember this was a once a week, 90 minute, live
show. Considering the writing time, and the sketches, (sometimes as
many as 9 or 10)  I doubt there was much rehearsal. If you surf around
that page you will find more Sid Caesar comedy sketches which are
hysterical. One with pantomime to the 1812 Overture also including
Imogene. I wonder if this little music pantomime was a weekly sketch
to different music. Can't remember.

There is also a great sketch of "the German clock".

As Thad McArthur pointed out, there is also a youtube of him "sitting
in" on sax with Benny Goodman's Band. The tune is Sing Sing Sing and
the drummer is Krupa.

Caesar was a talented musician studied reeds at Julliard, and played
with Charlie Spivak, Claude Thornhill, Shep Fields and Art Mooney Bands.

It is a neat page to surf. Sid Caesar was a talented mime and a funny
man.

Cheers,
Steve