[Dixielandjazz] Who "invented" jazz

Louis Lince louislince at neworleansmusic.demon.co.uk
Thu Jan 22 09:09:11 PST 2009

Hi Steve et al

There is an interview with Papa Jack Lane in 1951, when he talked about the
music being called Ragtime when he first started to play. The track is from
an old Southland record - recently released on CD by GHB. The CD was
produced as an extra to the Sam Charters "A Trumpet around the Corner" book.
It's BCD-158. The CD contains a lot of vintage (1950s) material that's well
worth a listen.

I'm not going to be drawn into the Black versus White argument. The CD
contains both. My view is that ears are colour-blind - it's the music that
counts.
The La Rocca film was interesting and I can understand the family pride, but
I don't really think that any one man "invented" the music. My view is
similar to yours Steve, in that Jelly probably has a good claim, and there
is no doubting his contribution to the music.

At this stage, I'm running for cover.

best

Louis