[Dixielandjazz] Thank you, Leslie Johnson. R.I.P.

Nancy Giffin NANCYink at surewest.net
Mon Jan 19 14:36:23 PST 2009

The passing of Leslie Johnson, editor of the Mississippi Rag, leaves a void
that will be hard to fill. Her legacy speaks volumes -- volumes and volumes,
year after year, about classic jazz in modern times. Everyone connected to
jazz benefited from her tireless efforts: musicians, vendors, promoters and
their venues, and of course, all the faithful jazz fans. The importance of a
newspaper (in print or on-line) as a nucleus of vibrant activity cannot be
understated. Leslie remained committed to her role as somewhat of a public
servant to the jazz community until the very end, despite how difficult the
last few issues were for her to complete.

Jazz will live as long as smart, hardworking promoters keep a spotlight on
it from one generation to the next. Leslie did her part, as Don Jones
continues to do his at the American Rag. It's a demanding task, and both
these editors have my respect and admiration.

Rest in peace, Leslie, and thanks for your help when I was a jazz editor.

Love and hugs,
Nancy