[Dixielandjazz] Jazz Jam Ophicleide!

David Richoux tubaman at tubatoast.com
Mon Jan 19 14:14:25 PST 2009

Phil (and all)

A "West Coast Ophicleide Jazz Trio" is totally theoretical at this
point - they are really difficult instruments to master. I have had
mine for almost 20 years and while I don't spend a lot of time on it,
I have sort of figured out how to play it, kinda! Jim O'Briant told me
he was getting pretty good with his a few years ago, but I have not
heard him play it lately.

For more info, a short discography, and pictures of the instrument:
http://www.contrabass.com/pages/ophicleide.html

and there is a beautiful solo recording by Nick Byrne:
http://www.ophicleide.com/  he really knows how to play!

There also is a group called The London Serpent Trio that has mastered
both the Ophicleide and the preceding form of the instrument - The
Serpent!
http://www.whitecottagewebsites.co.uk/lst  and a good sound clip:
http://www.whitecottagewebsites.co.uk/lst/wavs/foxtrot.wav

Dave Richoux