[Dixielandjazz] Jazz Jam Ophicleide!

David Richoux tubaman at tubatoast.com
Sun Jan 18 23:09:18 PST 2009

Hi all,
I was performing at the New Orleans Jazz Club of Northern California
session today in San Pablo and during our band's second break there
was an extra special jam session - a Bb Ophicleide was brought to the
stage by Glen Caulkins ( a multi-instrumentalist from several West
Coast jazz bands.) He played several solos and duets with the session
trombone player that worked quite well.

The sound output of an Ophicleide is not exactly great for this sort
of thing, but it worked pretty well today. Maybe sometime he will join
Jim O'Briant and me for a West Coast Ophicleide Jazz Trio! (or Pete
Main will join us with his Sarrusophone! )

(or maybe not... I still have a long way to go learning my ophicleide!)

Dave Richoux