[Dixielandjazz] Standards

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Sun Jan 18 19:04:58 PST 2009

This isn't hard to believe at all.  People today have huge numbers of
choices when it comes to music and the technology to absolutely ignore many
parts of the musical spectrum.

When I was young there were about three or four radio stations that had pop
music.  There wasn't just a whole lot of other choices.  You could do big
band, jazz, rock or symphonic.

Today with TV, satellite radio, AF, FM, Ipods and the internet the choices
are almost infinite.  Then add in all the variations of all the different
kinds of music that are out there.  Rock for example has fragmented into
dozens of sub styles.

It becomes sensory overload.

It's no wonder that people are becoming more narrow rather than broader in
their listening habits.

When I first started playing, a knowledge of several hundred "standard"
tunes was a must.  It was required that you know them well enough so that
you could play through the tune and take a jazz chorus on it.  Without that
you weren't pro grade and didn't get hired.  Today I haven't a clue as to
what a standard tune is.

This struck me several years ago when I was playing with a group of really
good musicians.  The other four horn players were all USAF musicians.  You
can't get much more pro than that.  Someone requested the Girl From Ipanema.
The leader (drummer) kicked it off and the Rhythm section and I did it.
One knew the head but not the bridge the rest didn't know it at all.
Larry
StL