[Dixielandjazz] Jazz and classical

Nancy Giffin NANCYink at surewest.net
Sat Jan 17 12:17:27 PST 2009

> From: Anton Crouch <anton.crouch at optusnet.com.au>
> [excerpt]
> As to Mozart, the Benny Goodman connection comes to mind immediately.
> Even today, Goodman's recording of the Clarinet Quintet is a
> "contender". In terms of feeling, however, I'd offer Omer Simeon.
>
> And others?
>
> Red Nichols - Brahms
> Duke Ellington - Andrew Lloyd Webber
> Stan Kenton - Bruckner
>
> Go for it!
> Anton

Dear Anton,

Those are amusing thoughts to entertain.

Twice I've been fortunate to attend a performance of Aaron Copeland's
Clarinet Concerto, but not with Benny Goodman as the star (for whom it was
composed).

The only thing I can offer has to do with a slow-tempo comparison. I've
heard stories about Count Basie always wanting his musicians to play slower.
When they would do so, he would again ask them to play still slower. Well,
one night after conducting The Bolero, the great conductor Toscanini was
confronted by the composer, Ravel, who admonished him for conducting the
piece too fast and for speeding up the final bars that were intended to
remain at the same steady pace as the main body of the work.

Love and hugs,
Nancy