[Dixielandjazz] Red Nichols - Brahms

ROBERT R. CALDER serapion at btinternet.com
Sat Jan 17 08:24:10 PST 2009

Red Nichols - Brahms
Duke Ellington - Andrew Lloyd Webber
Stan Kenton - Bruckner

Well, there is the famous Lullaby, miraculously recorded on the one hand by Tiana Lemnitz and with both hands by Dave McKenna . . .
but I never found Red Nichols quite as soporific as some people have said they did.
Capitol Records did once I gather engage him as a possible sub for Howard McGhee on a Coleman Hawkins date. Check the discography to find out whether he was suitable.
Unlike Buddy Bolden, there is a surviving recording of Brahms.

The answer to the second is Duke Ellington, for Ellington minus Lloyd Webber is like Ellington minus nothing.

Was Stan Kenton a Roman Catholic and did he improvise on organ? It sure doesn't show in his music.

Red McKenzie -  Pavarotti?
Kenny G -  Helen Keller?