[Dixielandjazz] Dick Cary clam (was Sid Catlett)

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Fri Jan 16 00:20:55 PST 2009

>> Have you heard Dick Cary's clam on Jada on I think it was Jamin' At
>> Condon's.
>> I am sure he would have preferred that the clam did not get on the
>> recording.
>> I am sure that at the time, the note could not have been taken out.

Well dear friends,
I give up.
"Ja Da" is not on the 'Jammin' At Condon's' Columbia session of 24
June 1954 on which Dick Cary participated.
In fact, I can't find any version of "Ja Da" recorded by either Cary
or Condon.
The Buck Clayton 'Jammin' At "Eddie Condon's", Volume 2' album with:
Buck Clayton (tp) Benny Morton (tb) Cutty Cutshall (tb-1) replaces
Morton, Peanuts Hucko (cl) Dave McKenna (p) Bob Haggart (b) Buzzy
Drootin (d)
Live "Eddie Condon's", New York, 1960 on Moon (It)MCD073-2 [CD]
includes "Ja Da (-1)" but this is obviously not it.
Someone prove me wrong regarding the above, or that my hero Dick Cary
ever recorded a 'clam'.
8>)
Kind regards,
Bill.