[Dixielandjazz] Dixielandjazz Digest, Vol 73, Issue 26

Ken Mathieson ken at kenmath.free-online.co.uk
Thu Jan 15 17:11:10 PST 2009

Hi Steve et al,

Yes, I've got Burt Korall's book, so I'm aware of that statement about the
importance of showmanship in Sid's playing, although he seemed to be able to
do all the flash stuff without it getting in the way of his music, which is
something a lot of other drummers failed at.  I once saw the Harry James Big
Band with Sonny Payne on drums, when it came to Scotland and, during Sonny's
feature, he was twirling his sticks, bouncing them off the floor and
throwing them in the air. All very visual, but the actual drum solo made
little musical sense while all of this was going on. Sonny was on a riser at
the back of the stage and the unintended climaz of the solo was him reaching
back to catch a mistimed stick-throw and crashing backwards off the stage.
There was total silence, followed by sharp intakes of breath from the
audience, followed by muffled cursing from behind the stage, followed by
uproarioiusly unsympathetic laughter from the rest of the band. Sonny seemed
to take forever to climb back up behind the kit and, when he started to play
again, the trumnpet section yelled out "do it again, Sonny!"

Cheers,

Ken Mathieson
www.classicjazzorchestra.org.uk