[Dixielandjazz] Big Sid Catlett /Louis armstrong

John Petters jdpetters at btinternet.com
Thu Jan 15 16:56:18 PST 2009

Ken Mathieson wrote:
> I had a long telephone conversation with Arvell a few years before he
> passed, in which he recalled that era as the happiest and most
> rewarding period of his career. He went on to say that Sid was the
> best drummer and easiest to play with, in his career and that he
> (Arvell) was so young and dumb that he kind of assumed that it would
> always be like that. Suddenly Sid was gone and none of the guys who
> came after turned him on the way Sid had.
Not a popular thing to say on this list Ken. I remember stirring up a
hornet's nest some  years back by knocking Barrett Deems, who was the
last of the 'real' drummers Louis had. He was not in the same universe
as Sid.
Cozy got progressivly more lumpy as time went on, but Ill take him over
Deems any day. As for Danny Barcelona, I think he may be responsible for
many poor drummers on this side of the pond.
Keep swinging

--
John Petters
Amateur Raduio Station G3YPZ