[Dixielandjazz] Hines' broadcasts

Ken Mathieson ken at kenmath.free-online.co.uk
Thu Jan 15 16:54:22 PST 2009

Hi Glen et al,

Thanks for the info, which confirms that just about everyone in North
America could hear the Hines band on virtually a nightly basis. Whether the
playing of Smeon and Howard had any impact on the pre-boppers or not is of
course speculation, but now that I've prompted myself into thinking about it
again, I'll need to re-read Ira Gitler's absorbing book Swing to Bop. It
consists of excerpts from interviews with numerous musicians who were
involved in that transition process and these have been expertly edited so
that it reads as an unfolding chronology of the developments. It might sound
a bit off-topic for DLML, but there's a lot of interesting stuff straight
from the mouths of people like Milt Hinton, Budd Johnson, Gus Johnson, Al
Cohn, Jay McShann etc.

Cheers,

Ken Mathieson
www.classicjazzorchestra.org.uk