[Dixielandjazz] Big Sid Catlett /Louis armstrong

Thad McArthur wthadmc at whidbey.com
Wed Jan 14 23:50:12 PST 2009

Hello Ken,  Does your address indicate that you are over in the British
Isles and our correspondence got back and forth that quickly??  Amazing!!  I
am on a long, narrow island (Whidbey) in Puget Sound, 30 miles north of
Seattle.  You asked if Sid Catlett did anything unusual in the way of
showmanship??  Looking back 60 years I don't remember that he did.   He
certainly played his game, took his solos, a strong performance.  That was
the amazing thing about the performance.  Each of these legends got all the
room they wanted in this ensemble set-up.  They smiled, kidded and talked to
each other.  Barney and Arvell were probably the quietest.  Louis, Jack and
Earl were the most voluable.  They played the tune, made adjustments in
route to a very audience-satisfying finish all night long,  either 4 or 5
nights that I was there.  On this vacation, down from Seattle, I also caught
Jimmie Dorsey and Pee Wee Hunt as back up band at the Palladium  and Frankie
Laine who was just hitting his stride and a good band down at the Rondevous
Ballroom on Balboa Beach.  It was  a great musical vacation.    Regards,
Thad McArthur