[Dixielandjazz] Time machine

Anton Crouch anton.crouch at optusnet.com.au
Wed Jan 14 15:44:19 PST 2009

Hello all

I'd be very happy to join Jerry Brown at the Lincoln Gardens, in
Chicago, to hear the Oliver band in 1922.

Even better would be to sit-in at Jelly Roll Morton's recording session
in the ballroom of the Webster Hotel in Chicago on the afternoon of
Thursday, 16 December 1926.

I've always felt that it was no coincidence that (for me) the greatest
recording session in the history of jazz occurred on Beethoven's birthday.

Now there's an idea for a new thread - which classical composer do you
associate with great jazzmen. My nominations:

Jelly Roll Morton - Beethoven
Louis Armstrong - Paganini

All the best,
Anton