[Dixielandjazz] Fwd: Secretary of Arts -- DJML moderate Info

Robert Ringwald rsr at ringwald.com
Tue Jan 13 11:55:30 PST 2009

Thad McArthur wthadmc at whidbey.com wrote:

> Bob,  I didn't realize that the DJML has a moderator, you are that
> moderator, and that there are guide lines that may not be exceeded in our
> discussions.  In the many posts that I have reviewed over the past year,
> yours indicate to me that you are probably the most qualified, coupled
> with moderate, person to hold that position.  It is self-evident that
> posts should relate to traditional jazz and tangential issues that affect
> jazz, but if there are any formal guidelines that can be restated here on
> the site, it might be helpful to do that now.  The term, "been placed on
> moderate" is unknown to me.  It may be that all this is already available,
> if so, please direct me to its location.   Thank you for all the knowledge
> you've contributed and keeping us up-to-date on OKOM.       Thad McArthur

Dear Thad,

Thank you for your inquiry.

Most of your questions will be answered by going to the DJML web site and
reading the FAQ, (Frequently Asked Questions) at:

http://www.islandnet.com/djml/faq.html

However, it was written many years ago and needs updating.

DJML is unmoderated which means messages to DJML automatically go to all
members without being first read and approved.  In 99.99% of the time, this
works very well.  However, on rare occasions a member will post an e-mail
which I feel is off-topic.  On those occasions, I usually write to the
person off-list and private, and ask that they refrain from posting this
type of message.  Almost always this takes care of the problem.  In a very
few cases it doesn't.  In those cases, the offending member must be either
put on moderate hold, or be unsubscribed.  I believe since the beginning of
DJML in or around 1995, this has only happened 3-times.

Yes, I am the one who makes the decision.  Someone's gotta do it in order to
keep the List from becoming a free-for-all.  I do however try to keep a low
profile on this and seldom stop a thread.

Because this is a friendly list with a lot of folks who have first met and
then become close friends here on DJML, a certain amount of personal
comments are made.  As long as it doesn't get out of hand, I let it go by.

However, I do not permit political or religious discussions.  These types of
discussions first, are not related to Jazz, and secondly, can lead very fast
to anger.

Often when an argument breaks out, or someone posts an off-topic message, we
lose good members.  At present we have aprox 575 members.  Because of
arguments, the list has dropped down to a low of 525.  This is why I try to
keep the List on-topic and friendly.

I hope this answers your question.  If you have any further questions,
please feel free to ask.

Best,

--Bob Ringwald
DJML Moderator