[Dixielandjazz] Weatherbird Jazz Band

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Mon Jan 12 13:41:51 PST 2009

Guus Smits wrote:
> I am looking for two recording from the Weatherdird jazz band.
> 1 First track Lonesome Road (14 tracks ?)
> 2 First Track Papadedada ( 12 Tracks ?)
> Who can give the name of the LP/CD and the other tracks?

Dear Guus,
The Swedish group Weatherbird Jazz Band (with my friend Bent Persson)
recorded in the early 1980s.
I have its LP 'Fireworks' on Stomp Off SOS 1034 issued in 1982 by the
unsung US patron of classic jazz, Bob Erdos.

Bent Persson (t,c,vcl) Kaj Sifvert (tb,vcl) Tomas Ornberg
(cl-1,sop-2,vcl) Goran Eriksson (as-3,bj-4) Ulf Johansson (p,vcl)
Goran Lind (b-5,tu-6) Sigge Dellert (d)
Jakobsberg, February 21 & 22, 1981
     Sweet Savannah Sue (1,2,3,6)
     Basin Street blues (1,4,5,uj vcl,bp,ks,to humming)
     Sweet Emmalina (2,4,6,to vcl)

same pers.
Jakobsberg, February 22, 1981
810020-    Snag it (1,2,3,4,5)

Bent Persson (tp,cnt) Kaj Sifvert (tb) Tomas Ornberg (cl,sop-1) Goran
Eriksson (as,bj-2) Ulf Johansson (p) Goran Lind (b) Sigge Dellert (d)
Jakobsberg, June 13, 1981
     Wild Man blues (1)
     Fireworks (2)

Bent Persson (tp,cnt) Kaj Sifvert (tb) Tomas Ornberg (cl-sop-1) Goran
Eriksson (as-2,bj-3) Ulf Johansson (p) Goran Lind (b) Sigge Dellert (d)
Uppsala, October 4, 1981
     Stomp Off, Let's Go (2,3)
     Knee Drops (3)
     Papa De Da Da (1,2)

Bent Persson (tp,cnt) Kaj Sifvert (tb) Tomas Ornberg (cl,sop) Goran
Eriksson (as) Ulf Johansson (p) Goran Lind (b) Sigge Dellert (d)
Uppsala, January 7, 1982
     She's Crying For Me
     The Chant

However, I suspect that what you are seeking are the following two
cassettes (which, unfortunately, I do not have):
Weatherbird Jazz Band:
Bent Persson (tp,cnt) Kaj Sifvert (tb) Tomas Ornberg (cl,sop,vcl)
Goran Eriksson (as,bj) Ulf Johansson (p,vcl) Goran Lind (b) Sigge
Dellert (d)
Live "Joseph Lam Jazzclub", Amsterdam, Holland, November 28, 1981
AJC Cassette 30
     She's Crying For Me
     Papa Dip
     Snag It
     Black Bottom Stomp
     The Pearls
     Wild Cat Blues
     St. Louis Blues
     Fireworks
     Buddy Bolden's Blues
     Chattanooga Stomp
     Static Strut/Stomp Off Let's Go
     Georgia Bo Bo (uj vcl)

Cassette 31
     Papa De Da Da
     That Lonesome Road
     Ory's Creole Trombone
     The Chant
     Sweet Emmalina (to vcl)
     Basin Street Blues (uj,band vcl)
     St. James Infirmary (uj vcl)
     New Orleans Stomp
     Melancholy Blues
     Weary Blues
     Grandpa's Spells
     Wild Man Blues
     Save It Pretty Mama
     After You've Gone (to? vcl)

Our DJMLer friend, Gerard Bielderman, may know if these cassettes have
reappeared on CD.
Very kind regards,
Bill.