[Dixielandjazz] Getting Stiffed

Ministry of Jazz jazzmin at actcom.net.il
Mon Jan 12 06:43:30 PST 2009

Hi Larry,

Sorry to hear of your experience with the gig that didn't pay. You say you
usually don't get stiffed by corporations. So far in my career I have ONLY
been stiffed by corporations. Well, including a municipality. Private
customers have always paid me cheerfully at or very shortly after gigs, and
sometimes in advance. I generally don't ask for money in advance. It's less
done here than in America or Europe. Corporations usually will not pay in
advance. Not only that, but their payment cycle customarily takes 1 to 3
calendar months after the performnce date. Meanwhile, we have tried to write
in cancellation clauses into the contracts, and they line them out before
signing. We've been cancelled twice only a couple days prior to public
performances in shopping centers, after we advertised the show and invited
hundreds of people, with no recourse. Oh, but they're very sorry. I try to
tell them that next time I think I'll cancel 3 days before a show, but
they're not impressed.

Oh, well. Gotta love the business.

Bleswsings,

Elazar