[Dixielandjazz] Getting paid.

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Sun Jan 11 14:12:12 PST 2009

Normally I have no problem and that is in my contract.  The person hiring me
isn't always the one who pays.  I fairly often know that the book keeping
department is on a schedule and they do their accounts payable on the same
dates and I expect late payment.  It works out but I think in this case this
venue is making a habit out of not paying.  I wouldn't have slipped up but I
had a lot of other things to think about when my wife died and she was my
book keeper who checked on such things.  I'm usually on top of this kind of
thing and they slipped through the cracks.  I can't believe I did a second
gig with them but I did.

Your ideas are pretty good and I may give that a try before I do anything
else.  I may also bombard their fax machine with dunning letters.  This will
spread through the office and will feed their corporate rumor mill.  If they
are weak such things may have ramifications in staff dissatisfaction.  They
may pay me just to shut me up.

I may also write letters to the BBB.  While I'm pretty sure that they don't
handle such complaints it may flag them as a possible failure waiting to
happen.  This is also true of the Secretary of State who watches such
things.  Since entertainment is mandated it might make a wave.  It will cost
me about ten dollars to put their name all over the place as well as a
notification to all the similar businesses in town who are on my mailing
list.   I will also warn everyone I know in the business to avoid them.   I
have had some results from people who have owed me money in the past who
have paid up when my machine got rolling.

I'm going to give them a week or so and then I start going after them.  I
have sent them a letter and invoices.  Next I will take your suggestion with
a nice follow up phone call to book keeping and I will see how they respond.

There is a possibility that the person that hired me just isn't telling the
higher ups what she's doing and there is even a remoter possibility that she
is scamming the corporation in some way.

I understand that it may be not worth going after because of all the trouble
to collect but if they get away with it then that will become SOP and a lot
of my friends will take it in the neck too.
Larry
StL
A friend of mine who is self-employed has told me how he deals with such
situations. He speaks to the finance department and asks when the cheque
will be issued. They typically will tell him and then state it will be
mailed out. He tells them instead of them mailing it out that he'll be down
that day to pick it up in person.

The second approach he uses, which I think will work very well in your
situation, is that he is paid prior to the performance e.g. I am here to do
the gig, hand me the cash now before I go on. This of course would be set in
advance as a a condition of the performance.

Kevin Yeates
Vancouver, Canada