[Dixielandjazz] The Genius of Duke Ellington - "You'll Know."

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sat Jan 10 08:37:23 PST 2009

On May 29, 1996 trombonist Milt Bernhart was the guest of the "West
Surrey Big Band Society" in the UK. Derek Edwards hosted the evening
and interviewed Milt.

Derek: Did you play with Murray MacEachern? (This is the only time he
spoke.)

Milt: Oh yes, and Murray stands very high, and here's a sideline;
Murray was very thick with Duke Ellington, they knew each other quite
well, and for a good reason. Murray played saxophone as well as he
played trombone, and was one of the few who could approximate to
Johnny Hodges. There were a lot of people who tried. But only Johnny
Hodges played like Johnny Hodges! But Murray came very close, and
Ellington really admired him for this.

I did a call once for Duke Ellington, I'll never forget it. Most of
the Ellington band were there but, for whatever reason, his trombones
weren't. Murray MacEachen was first call, and then I got a call, and
then George Roberts, bass trombone player, and Vern Friley, who was an
excellent player. This was for a movie and Duke Ellington wrote a solo
for Murray, it was in this movie. (Three Coins in the Fountain?)  It
was a picture long forgotten, with Frank Sinatra, and it was a
beautiful solo; I'll never forget, just before they turned on the red
light and it began, Duke said, and it's important (I can understand
why playing with Duke made all the difference) he leaned towards
Murray and said "Break their hearts"! And all these things sank in,
indeed.

On one other occasion Duke said something to me; he came in one day
and passed out eight bars of music to each guy, just eight bars on a
scrap of paper, and it was a riff. There was never a rehearsal for
Duke Ellington. This band never rehearsed, it's well known. So Duke
said to the official there "How much music do we need?" And the guy
said "About eight minutes of music, Mr. Ellington". We had eight bars
of music, it was going to last about eight seconds! Duke, and only
Duke would say a thing like this, I was thrilled to be there - "Let's
make it".

So we're all looking at each other, and even Murray and he looks
quizzically at me and then at Vern Friley. So just because I had to,
and because here was my chance, I walked over to the piano, just
before the red light went on, and I looked down at those baggy eyes
and said "What are we going to do?" I said it very quietly, and Duke
looked up at me. and in words I'll always remember, said "You'll know".

And this was the essence of Duke Ellington -"You'll know". That's why
that band was that band. And you know something, it did work. We
played the first eight bars and instinctively we realized we had to
repeat those eight bars, so we did, and this was the entire band; then
Duke played a bridge on piano, an Ellington bridge (I almost stopped
playing) and then we went back to the first eight bars, and finished
the thirty-two bars. At the end of that one of the guys stood up, as
if someone had told him to, and played two choruses of pure jazz, and
on the second chorus we made up a background with the trombones, it
was just happening.

Then Duke played a few choruses of his own, and Cootie Williams was
there and did some wah wah, and then we went back to the first thing
we had done and did that. The tempo wasn't too fast and when we had
done that it had taken about eight minutes. Duke finished it off with
a few passages on the piano, and in the studio were a couple of
arrangers, Bill Holman was one of them, Bill was there because it was
Duke, and he was rolling around on the floor. But he couldn't believe
what he'd heard, nor could anybody. There was no point in doing it
again; Duke wouldn't have permitted it anyway, he was out the door.

Murray played a solo on the opening music of the film Three Coins in
the Fountain. Maybe this is the solo referred to here. - Ron Simmonds