[Dixielandjazz] Sartre Essay on Jazz

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Wed Jan 7 20:00:08 PST 2009

Robert Calder mentioned the Sartre essay on Jazz, circa 1947.

I don't have a copy now, but remember it (slightly) from Philosophy
101 at University circa 1956. It was a fun read.

About all I remember with any accuracy is that in it, he said
something like; "Jazz and Bananas are similar. They must be consumed
on the spot."  That plus a lot of sexual overtones which were all the
rage (at least in NYC) on the jazz scene in  the 1940s.

I'd love to see a copy of the entire essay again too.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband