[Dixielandjazz] Recorded live in concert vs. studio recordings

George Thurmond gthurmond at stx.rr.com
Wed Jan 7 11:17:54 PST 2009

	Listmates - I've been lingering back till now on voicing an
opinion on this interesting subject, so here's one more opinion from a
jazz fan that	 gets his jazz "fix" mainly from recordings.  The Bunk
Johnson band recordings made by Bill Russell in the summer of 1944 in
the San Jacinto "concert" hall in New Orleans, have that great slight
echo sound and balance that I have yet to hear reproduced on any other
recordings, live or in studio.  And he did it with one mike and on his
portable disc recorder!  If the machine is still on display at the Palm
Court in N.O., take a look at it and, like me, wonder how it could have
reproduced the fidelity, clearness, and balance of the band's music that
it did.  Plus it showed me that great musicians can make records in a
studio sort of setting that are every bit as spirited or "low down
bluesy" as before a live audience.

George Thurmond