[Dixielandjazz] FW: Dixieland Jazz, Eddie Condon

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Sat Jan 3 13:14:24 PST 2009

> (snip)
........and the mix and sound are all wrong.  Everything is
> too crisp, separated, and "modern" sounding.
> (snip)

I'm not too sure when multitrack recording appeared in the U.S., but I would
take a guess and say that there wasn't any such thing in the early 1950's.
So "separation" would be close to impossible.  The mix could be manipulated
through the mixer, but the "bleed" from the nearby musicians would make even
that difficult to achieve.

>  (snip)
>Columbia has often been accused of adding lots of bass and muting treble
etc.
>  (snip)

That would be just the opposite of the aforementioned "too crisp" complaint.

Jim