[Dixielandjazz] Eddie Condon

Stan Brager sbrager at verizon.net
Sat Jan 3 11:01:35 PST 2009

I have to agree with Bob on this one... for the most part. There were
several Condon recordings that followed the recording technique of the Buck
Clayton jam sessions begun in 1953. In those sessions, the format of a
traditional jam session was followed giving the music a loose feeling not
found on most jazz studio recordings while the studio environment allowed
the listener to hear each instrument well and in excellent balance.

For me, these are a joy to hear year after year.

That said, there were also some later 1950's and 1960's Condon studio
recordings for Columbia which lack the informal nature of the earlier jam
sessions. These include the "Midnight In Moscow" and "Chicago My Home Town".

Stan
Stan Brager