[Dixielandjazz] Roger Wolfe Kahn Orchestra

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Sat Feb 21 17:43:30 PST 2009

PHIL WILKING wrote:
> The dancer looks like Charlotte Greenwood. She made a career in the
> 30's into the 40's of female "second banana" roles where she would
> hear a band playing and break into a dance where she did those over
> the head kicks.

Dear Phil (and Steve),
The 3-part film 1932 short posted by Steve is 'The Yacht Party"
According to my sources the girl 'stars' are Melissa Mason (dancer)
and Gertrude Nissen (singer).
The vocal quartet is 'The Kahn-a-Stars', who recorded with Kahn.
Along with Artie Shaw, Charlie Teagarden and drummer Chauncey
Moorehouse have been identified.
I'm still working on the identification of the band in the film and
believe the double bass man to be Ward Lay.
Kahn's recording band at this time had:
Ruby Weinstein, Frank Zullo, Charlie Teagarden (t) Leo Vauchant, Andy
Russo (tb) Artie Shaw (cl,as) Del Porter (cl,as,vcl) Larry Binyon
(cl,ts,fl) and/or Max Farley (cl,ts,fl) 3 unknown (vln), Russ Carlson
(p) Perry Botkin (g) Ward Lay (b) Chauncey Morehouse (d,vib) Roger
Wolfe Kahn (dir).
Off now to our regular Sunday afternoon pub job.
More later.
Kind regards,
Bill.