[Dixielandjazz] The Young Lions

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sat Feb 21 13:28:03 PST 2009

Played a 4 hour Mardi Gras "Fat Friday" gig with 22 year old pianist/
bandleader Drew Nugent, at the Historic Hotel Bethlehem in Bethlehem
PA. It was quite a show with Drew playing and singing like Fats Waller
backed by me on clarinet and drummer Skip Rohrich. The hotel bar/
lounge was packed with young and old, with an overflow crowd in the
lobby. Ovation after ovation.

What a treat is was for this old man to see a "kid" leading an OKOM
band that is making it locally in the Allentown-Bethlehem area of
Pennsylvania. I guess he hasn't heard that this music is not viable
with regular audiences. Bethlehem has a population of about 72,000.
The Allentown Bethlehem Easton area has a total population of about
630,000

He is now negotiating what was a monthly gig to a weekly performance
at this venue. And the hotel management is talking about moving the
group to one of their ballrooms to accommodate the crown. As well as
enlarging the band.

Drew is quite a young man. Stride pianist, good singer, good showman.
He'll have Dan Levinson with him next month and has hired Jim Fryer to
play led horn with his trio at a swing dance next month. Ain't no
grass growing under this young man's feet.

For more information about him see:

http://www.allaboutjazz.com/php/musician.php?id=17820

www.myspace.com/offthecuffwithdrewnugent