[Dixielandjazz] Cindy Leiby Jazz Trombone and Music Teacher

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Tue Feb 17 20:35:53 PST 2009

Remember all the flack music teachers got via some DJML posts a while
back, especially those teaching jazz in schools? Well, here's a more
positive story about a group of dedicated music teachers.

It is a current press release from Mr Holland's Opus Foundation,
naming Barbone Street Trombonist Cynthia (Cindy) Leiby one of their
top five award winning music teachers in the USA. She is an
extraordinary person.

She is creative on the bandstand and in the classroom. When the school
said no instruments or classrooms were available, she got $8000 worth
of instruments donated by the foundation and shamed the school into
providing rehearsal space. Lack of funding didn't stop her, she found
a way to get it done. Her award is well deserved.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband

For Immediate Release:   Contact: Felice Mancini

Mr. Holland’s Opus Foundation
818-762-4328 - felice at mhopus.org

NEW YORK - The Mr.Holland's Opus Foundation will present its 7th
annual,music teacher awards at Carnegie Hall in New York on April 3.
Five music teachers were selected from across the country and will
receive $10,000 each. The award recognizes music teachers who best
emulate the personal characteristics and dedication of "Mr. Holland,"
portrayed by Richard Dreyfuss in the hit 1995 movie.

The awards will be presented during a concert saluting Charles
Strouse, performed by the New York Pops conducted by Martin Yates. The
awards are sponsored each year by Guitar Center, Inc.

This years awards will mark the 12th anniversary of the foundation,
founded by composer Michael Kamen who passed away in 2003. "Michael
would be very proud to see his legacy continued through our work.
After 12 years, hundreds of thousands of kids have been able to play
music as a result of our efforts. But we've only scratched the surface
in making sure that all children have access to music education," said
Felice Mancini, Executive Director of The Mr.Holland's Opus Foundation
and daughter of the legendary composer Henry Mancini. "The Pops shares
our dedication to this end.

This years award recipients are:

Cynthia Leiby, WCK Walls Elementary School, Pitman, NJ
Robert Eisenhart, Van Nuys High School, Van Nuys, CA
Larry Jackson, Allegany High School, Cumberland, MD
Trea Kimball, Adams-Friendship High School, Friendship, WI
Holly Mullenix, National Teachers Academy, Chicago, IL

"Teachers like these provide inspiration to our children," said Marty
Albertson, CEO of Guitar Center. "Their unselfish dedication needs to
be recognized and rewarded, and we need to encourage others to follow
in their footsteps to help shape the future of our society."

Criteria for the selection of teachers includes:

Instill a love of music in their students through instrumental music
instruction in grades K-12.

Have the passion, dedication and leadership skills to persevere under
difficult
circumstances.

Give generously of their time, energy and talent, exceeding what is
expected of music educators.

Demonstrate creativity regardless of availability of instruments,
materials classroom space and budget limitations.

Inspire students and challenge them to attain the highest levels of
musicianship.

Encourage musical growth through ongoing individual and group
performance, auditions and evaluation.

The Mr. Holland's Opus foundation donates new and refurbished musical
instruments to under served schools, community music programs and
individual students nationwide, in an effort to give youngsters the
many benefits of music education, help them to be better students and
inspire creativity and expression through playing music. To date, new
and refurbished instruments with a value of $5 million have been
donated to over 850 school and community music programs across the
country. More information can bed found at www.mhopus.org.