[Dixielandjazz] satire in song

ROBERT R. CALDER serapion at btinternet.com
Mon Feb 16 12:54:23 PST 2009

It's been too long since I heard Jimmy Rushing's recording of "That same old south", with the lovely line about the gate no longer being closed because it fell off its hinges like everything did in the land of delapidation and decay. It's not my field of scholarship, but I believe the song came from a satirical revue of the time.

I gather Lightnin' Hopkins was summoned to a compulsory uncomfortable conversation in respect of one blues too topically critical. There's bound to be something by Paul Oliver on satirical blues.