[Dixielandjazz] French Traditional Jazz (sorry, wrong centuries)

David Richoux tubaman at tubatoast.com
Sun Feb 15 20:01:17 PST 2009

sorry about that - sometimes I get that "Century Thing" wrong!

Jerry (and all)

I have met many Canadian researchers in languages who often visit
Louisiana to study current and historical "Cajun" patois. To them it
is like a time capsule of 17th and 18th Century spoken French (much
like what we call "Hill-Billy" in the Appalachians is still closely
related to historical forms of English.) Same is true for some of the
traditional music (but not as much for Zydeco.)

Since there are quite a few museums and research centers on the
subject in Canada, I don't think they have any negative feelings at
this point, at least not officially ;-)
http://www.museeacadien.ca/
http://www.virtualmuseum.ca/Exhibitions/Acadie/index_e.html
http://www.gov.pe.ca/peimhf/index.php3?number=1015697
etc.

There are probably more grumpy Cajuns  who express themselves on the
subject than the other way around. However, my Grandmama was much more
contemptuous of those crazy people up the bayou in New Orleans
(especially around Mardi Gras time!)

Dave Richoux (who lives too much in California anymore.)