[Dixielandjazz] 100 Club

Dingo roadie at btinternet.com
Thu Feb 12 06:40:24 PST 2009

----- Original Message -----

> See Just Jazz magazine February edition page 33 for the Ken Colyer Trust
> announcements.
> They have sessions advertised for this month and next.
>
> Brian Harvey

Talking with mate Jimbo, who 'does' the door for the KCT 100 Club sessions,
the session last month with my old boss Sammy Rimington, had the place jam
packed, queuing up the stairs to street level and a little way down Oxford
Street. Sounds hopeful, BUT, to quote a bandleader friend who has recently
spoken with Geoff who runs the club "they are in a financial nightmare. The
landlords want blood and money and it is not realistic".

I will be sorry if the club does close having spent many happy hours there
as a punter in the sixties, listening to the bands of Alex Welsh, Alan
Elsdon, Dutch Swing College, and later, working as a roadie/soundie with
Sammy and other bands. My last visit was probably circa 1996 as, like fellow
list-Brit, Brian Wood, I now live too far away to make the trip and my
health situation being such I'm no longer certain that even if I made it
down those stairs to the basement, I'd ever get back up 'em again. One thing
I am 100% certain of, is that I definitely could not now cope with humping
band gear down and up that damn awful metal fire escape (the musicians'
entrance) at the rear in Berners Place.

I've always thought the 100 Club to be a dingy dump ......... but I loved it
and when run by Roger Horton there was nothing better, having humped the
band's gear down the fire escape, to be offered a cuppa by his wife, Pat.
Happy daze !!
~~
John D