[Dixielandjazz] FW: Oldest continuous jazz club?

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Thu Feb 12 01:32:03 PST 2009

  http://www.the100club.co.uk/
There is a February - early March 2009 bands listing.
Although, not any 'jazz' that would appeal to mouldy old me.
8>)
Kind regards,
Bill.

Bill wrote the above, and sent in the link.  I went there out of curiousity.
I've never been to the club, although I've been to London many times.  I had
always heard it had very little jazz.  From the few pictures they have in
their gallery, one can see mainly electric guitars, and a standing only
crowd (no tables).

There is an interesting history to the club, though, and at one time it was
called the Humphrey Lyttelton Club, as apparently his manager owned the
joint for awhile!  In the early 1950's Chris Barber is mentioned, along with
Alker Bilk, Kenny Ball, and even our good friend Beryl Bryden.  However,
their history page then goes on to say:

"But like all fashions Trad came to an end. Once the Sound of the Mersey and
The Beatles in particular started to waft into people's homes the Trad scene
began to fall into decline and ended very abruptly."

And, following that low note, there is no more mention of trad at the club,
and I would say it would be hard to see a band back there. Their present day
lineup looks somewhat like the lineups of these so-called European "Jazz"
Festivals, which in my opinion should be called "Music" festivals.  So,the
subject line of this thread which reads "Oldest continuous jazz club?" might
need to be adjusted to fit today's artist's bill at this "music" club.

Jim