[Dixielandjazz] Willie & Wynton

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Tue Feb 10 16:26:52 PST 2009

Solos in jazz are usually sketched out with chord symbols and not written
out.  Personally I don't like written out solos because the music gets lost
in all the notes.

Some players stay glued to chord symbols for the changes playing licks based
on them.  It's not a type of jazz I really get off on preferring guys that
play lines or horizontal improvisation.

Changes as represented in the chord symbols are most useful if you don't
know the tune very well or the solo comes in in the middle of a phrase or
some other odd spot.

I would imagine that if W.M. was looking at a page it was just to follow the
chord symbols and I doubt if the solos were written but then again if they
were, I'm pretty sure he could make them sound better than most.  I don't
think we should hold a jazz artist to some standard if the arranger put it
all down on paper.

There are those who feel that OKOM should always be off the top of the
musicians head.  Head arrangements are great but the written page is valid
too.  There are many fine reading musicians out there.  Ideally a musician
should be able to do both.

Our local jazz society members get off criticizing reading musicians while
they themselves can't play a note.  Sometimes they are pretty nasty about
it.

One of the big troubles is that those guys who are really good at doing head
arrangements are dying off a lot faster than they are being replaced by new
musicians with anywhere near the same skills.
Larry
St, Louis