[Dixielandjazz] Make Believe Ballroom

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Fri Feb 6 12:44:57 PST 2009

>  Don Ingle <dingle at nomadinter.net> wrote
> There was a long debate about who had the first "Make Believe
> Ballroom."
> While the NY version is sually thought to be the orginal, Detroit
> radio
> veteran Eddie Chase (who broadcast over CKLW, a big watt station over
> the river in Windsor, Ontario at an earleir date that the NBC program.
> Al Jarvis at KFI in LA also had a long running show of the same
> name. It
> was on the record that the Detroit area show of that name was on air
> before the Block show, but was only carried in Michigan and Ontraio
> market and heard in abuteightstate,whilethe NBCshow was heard
> natnaionally.
> It just makes the subject all the more interesting.

Don and others:

In one of Martin Block's bios, it identifies him as born in LA and
having served as an assistant to Al Jarvis on local LA version of Make
Believe Ballroom. Circa 1932 on KFWB.

Then Block came to NYC and started his own Make Believe Ballroom show
circa 1934.

By the end of World War 2, Block was earning $22,000 A WEEK for the
show. It was finally broadcast from a "make Believe" ballroom complete
with Crystal Chandelier. Block originally used his own records, and
chatted between them as if the show was using live music. Later he
hosted many a live session such as the ones I posted about earlier.

Everyone in NYC during the 1940s and 50s was familiar with Block's
show and he was one of the powerful DJs ever. If he played a tune, it
would become an instant hit etc.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband