[Dixielandjazz] Make Believe Ballroom

Don Ingle dingle at nomadinter.net
Fri Feb 6 11:25:12 PST 2009

Stan Brager wrote:
> Ken;
>
> I don't know if any recordings of the actual shows of "Make Believe
> Ballroom" exist, however you can still get the Charlie Barnet
> recording of the show's theme with the Barnet Modernaires (before they
> joined up with Glenn Miller). Barnet's recording was made on August 3,
> 1936 and was picked by Martin Block to be the theme for his show on WNEW.
>
> Later that month, on the 24th, Barnet cut another tune which was
> destined to become the theme song for Stan Shaw's radio show -
> "Milkman's Matinee". Both tunes also feature lyrics by Andy Razaf.
>
> Stan
> Stan Brager
>
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Ken Mathieson"
> <ken at kenmath.free-online.co.uk>
> Sent: Wednesday, February 04, 2009 7:38 AM
> Subject: [Dixielandjazz] Make Believe Ballroom
>

> Hi Listers,
>
> I've had an enquiry from a collector on the UK about the US radio
> series of yesteryear, Martin Block's Make Believe Ballroom. Do any of
> you know whether any recordings of shows exist and whether they are
> available?
>
> Regards,
>
> Ken Mathieson
> www.classicjazzorchestra.org.uk

There was a long debate about who had the first "Make Believe Ballroom."
While the NY version is sually thought to be the orginal, Detroit radio
veteran Eddie Chase (who broadcast over CKLW, a big watt station over
the river in Windsor, Ontario at an earleir date that the NBC program.
Al Jarvis at KFI in LA also had a long running show of the same name. It
was on the record that the Detroit area show of that name was on air
before the Block show, but was only carried in Michigan and Ontraio
market and heard in abuteightstate,whilethe NBCshow was heard natnaionally.
It just makes the subject all the more interesting.
Don Ingle