[Dixielandjazz] Willie Nelson - Western Swing - Dixieland?

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Wed Feb 4 18:06:26 PST 2009

Willie Nelson has a neat Western Swing album out, with Asleep at the
Wheel. They'll be touring soon also. Starting Feb 11 in Red Bank NJ.
Complete with a kick ass horn section.

Some familiar tunes include:

Right or Wrong
South
Corrine Corrina
South
Hesitation Blues
I Ain't Gonna Give Nobody None of my Jelly Roll.

"Asleep at the Wheel's take on Western swing should be especially
interesting to fans of early 20th-century American popular music.
Their fidelity to the source material means that traces of jazz swing,
ragtime and Dixieland are preserved as if in amber, sounding much as
they did in the '30s and '40s." - Washington Times

Well, the album may not be Dixieland like the Post says, but the tour,
with multiple horns may be. Then again, the out chorus of Hesitation
on the album sure sounds like Dixieland to me. And the in chorus of
Jelly Roll does too. <grin>

Hear them all ( and a neat clarinet player) at:

http://www.willieandthewheel.com/

Hmmm, Western Swing and Dixieland prospered in the last big depression
(1929).  Do you suppose. . . ?

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband